JOHN MEANEY

4.4.09

META BLOG

To quote Charlie Stross:

Incidentally, if you were wondering why authors blog ...

Being a novelist is an intensely socially isolating job. In fact, if you haven't done it, you might have difficulty comprehending just how weird the lifestyle is compared to any other occupation. We lock ourselves in an office for several hours a day, every day, and we don't interact with other people while we're working. In almost any other job, you deal with co-workers or members of the public and chat around the coffee station: but not if you're a novelist.


And here's the thing. That novelist in solitary confinement is socializing with other people inside his/her own head. You know, a novel is about bringing other people to life, but the other day I fled from a potentially interesting conversation in Caffe Nero because I was in the middle of writing.

Must be something paradoxical in there....

2 Comments:

Anonymous TOM lawson said...

I have just finished Bone Song and Dark Blood in rapid succession! Please, we need a continuation of the adventures of Donal, so get back into that isolation booth and write, my friend!

May 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger John Meaney said...

Thanks Tom! I knew there was a good reason for the solitary confinement!

Currently I'm revising Absorbtion, book one of the Ragnarok trilogy. I did outline another Donal book, called White Bones, but I don't know when I'll be writing it...

May 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home